Monday, December 20, 2010

Gloomy Bear Apron

I am hosting a Glommy Bear themed swap over on DoA and the very lovely Izarra was kind enough to share some patterns from her collection.
The pattern link is shared here: It will likely need to be resized for your doll.

I wanted to post sorta a how-to-pic tutorial with some sewing instruction, for anyone who might need a little help putting it together. (Particularly for those who have joined my swap)
I have no idea how it's actually put together, but this is how I did it. I also scaled it down for a 1/6 size doll (my liv doll, Milla, will be modeling it). It was a little tedious, and probably easier for a 1/4size doll or bigger.

First you want to size the pattern to your doll, then print and cut out.
(For the Gloomy's eyes, nose, blood, ears and claws I used felt. )
I started with the front apron piece by adding some trim

Photobucket

Then I sewed the two back pieces to the front

Photobucket

Next I machine basted the skirt to ease in and gathered the fabric. Doing so, will allow the skirt to measure up with the wasitband so you can sew them together. I sewed the ruffles together with the waistband when sewing it to the skirt, so I kinda rushed a step here and missed a pic or two.
This is after it's done:

Photobucket

I also cheated in a way, I didn't make my own ruffles - as the pattern calls. I had some ruffled trim from past projects I was able to use.

Photobucket

AFter it's done:

Photobucket

NOw you add the waist band ties. (In my trial, I kinda made them too short, The bow doesn't have long enough tails when it's tied up, so be sure to leave it extra long)

Photobucket

Front so far:

Photobucket

Now on to the Gloomy part:
I put the felt claws between my two pieces and sewed it together.

Photobucket

Right side/wrong side views
Turning the sleeves is tough on this small scale, I used a seam ripper to help me turn.

Photobucket

one set of claws turned out kinda wacky. I was kinda rushing it... and.. I still like it. =] So I didn't bother to fix it.

Photobucket

Next I hand stitched the felt facial features. I used embroidery floss as I was testing with big stitches, but you can uses regular thread for a more invisible stitch.

Photobucket

I added the ears between the two layers and sewed together. Leave opening on the bottom to turn.
(The ears were hand darted in the center)

Photobucket

I stitched the arms to the head:

Photobucket

Then stitched it to the skirt:

Photobucket

Hey, it's almost done! Just need some shoulder straps.

Photobucket

Which I also cheated on as I used some decorative trim.

Photobucket

So I didn't realize until it was done that the blood on the gloomy mouth is a little lobsided. =/
but I still am very happy with it.

Photobucket

Now it just needs a lil ironing. ^_^

Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

My top stiching on the bear head is a lil sloppy looking, but it was kinda a rush work, that Milla is thrilled with. She wants to keep it....


Photobucket

But I"m working on some Barbie clothes for my neice for Xmas, and I think I"m going to trow this in the mix.

^_^

Thanks for reading, I hope this comes helpful to you.
If you find that it does, I"d appreciate a link back!

-Catz

2 comments:

  1. Cool apron!

    I see you're interesting in making ooak and dolly customiations, have you heard of the forum Legendary Tutorials ?

    It's all about all kind of dolls you're very welcome to join our big family ; http://www.dolls-n-daggers.com/Dolls/Forum/index.php

    Hugs, Linnzy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is super cute! Thanks for the pictures and tips on doing it. :)

    ReplyDelete